Wednesday, October 1, 2008

September 26th ish...I've lost track of days

I am dirty and worn out. My head is aching, my stomach is cramping, and I am chilled. I have joyfully worn myself out today; all with a smile upon my face. Today after African tea with Ellan (a sweet friend of mine who works at our shop), hours in town, and lunch with Chris, wrestling needed to take place during a jakfruit feast. A mission then went underway. We went on a search for sugarcane. Only minutes into our journey the drops of rain that soak like water balloons were falling from the sky. As we ran upon the red dirt becoming a dark mud slide, in between brick stacks, cement and plaster houses, and clothing lines beginning to droop; smiling faces turn back at me attached to little dirty black bodies. Their laughter and voices tell me that this timeless moment, this place in eternity, is freedom. Pure joy. The weightlessness of being a child. A child with no shoes, no parents, broken teeth, two changes of clothes, soaked from head to toe with mud and rain; yet a child all the same. No different from the next. And this. This is where real happiness lies. In this moment of dirt and poverty.
We return after an extended run through pouring rain and slippery mud slides with three stocks of sugarcane; our treasure! I hack and hack, preparing pieces of sugarcane for each child. Of course a bit of bickering over the largest piece takes place....but what are children without that? We tear into the stock nearly breaking my fragile teeth. The children, of course, have no problem. Amidst spitting and yelling for homework to be done, I search for small shillings to cover the cost of firewood and charcoal for dinner tonight.
As the smoke sneaks out of our makeshift chimney, my dirty fingers point to number 3 of Sebuma's math homework. I find myself becoming frustrated with myself for being frustrated he does not know 33/3! Who is his math teacher anyway? Ha ha. I failed them somewhere didn't I....?
All in all, life is flowing and lovely. God is ever faithful and I am learning and growing each day. Growing is not always an easy task and many times pain is involved, but looking back, the change is always beneficial and beautiful. I am thankful for every experience.
I do have to say I am looking forward to coming home. Leaving is going to be a heart wrenching experience, but returning home will be so refreshing.
That is all for now. Please continue to check out the more readily updated blog at http://dorcaschildrenshome.blogspot.com
Much better! ha ha

3 comments:

kaelea said...

I love you so incredibly much. You are my hero. Play in the mud for me, will ya?!

Cheryl Russell said...

What a beautiful post, I felt like I was there. God Bless You!

Sarah Megan said...

You are amazing, Kami Anne.

I love you and know you are in the perfect place for you right now. Keep working and playing, darlin