Tuesday, February 5, 2008

"Madame, madame!"

Yes believe it or not I am a math teacher. Here is the tricky thing about being raised in the school system in America and deciding to teach in the school system in Uganda:
1. Well the kids do not speak much English.
2. Showing up for class....is not entirely necessary per say.
3. Time? Oh I am sorry, so it does not matter if I show up an hour later than when you said yesterday?
4. Books are not really available if you will. Meaning, I have 2 out of my 5 curriculum books. The kids do not have books. Period.
5. The heavily used blackboard is my only means of communicating the problems I want them to learn. I think I will grow a fondness for chalk. Seriously, my lungs are beginning to need it like nicotine.
6. I don't really have scheduled time that I am teaching. Strangest thing to me really. I show up, wait for the other teachers and students to actually get there. Then simply ask which classes do not have teachers. And those lucky ducks get to be taught math for two hours. No classes are not two hours long, but nobody changes classes when the suggested time has been set, so...Math all day! woot woot!
Despite this, the past two days have been wonderful and long! We had white visitors yesterday which was more of a blessing than I could ever imagine. We could actually talk to them! And boy did we ever.
Besides the usual proposals and frequent visitors, not much is new or crazy. Thank you for your prayers and love.
Love back. And back. and back.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Thanks for the update, Kami! It is great to read about your daily life. Fun times!

Sarah Megan said...

I wish you would be teaching ME math right now.

My teacher is well...you know.

Those kiddos are lucky to have you and I love reading up on your life.

Love ya, girlie!