Monday, January 21, 2008

hee hee
Golly it is more amazing than I ever had imagined. Sometimes I look at what is going on around me and I laugh because I feel so at home but it is a culture I have never known. Kampala is absolutely crazy. It is so busy and has kind of has bought into a cheap version of our western culture(ie. lots of advertising for cell phones, junk, beauty, blah) Which is such a bummer, but luckily I only have to come here to check my email. Otherwise, we live in an absolutely beautiful place! Fruit trees(juckfruit or fwe) right outside my door. Flowers, trees, it is super green! Everyone hangs out and works hard to survive. Naked black babies. So cute! And we just play in dirt all day and no one minds. I love it. I am learning how to cook over coals! yippie. I am going to be a real hippy. Finally. :) The kids. ooo. I freakin love them. I cannot stand it. I could play with them the rest of my life and be happy. These children are the most respectful, playful, joyful, and loving kids I have ever known. To think they came from such hard beginnings. Chris and I are trying are best to learn Lugandan. Everyone is super helpful!
Traffic? ooo don't get me started. No rules basically. 21 of us fit in a shaky 11 seater taxi van. Imagine going over massive pot holes, ravines, and trenches in that puppy. Chris tipped him because he could hardly believe we made it alive! hee hee. Sure most drive on the left side of the road, but not necessarily. Pedistrians? Ha. Good luck out there.
Toilets? There is one western like one. It resembles an awful portapotty. But it is super great. There were two huge massive cute cockroaches for a bit. just hanging out just below the seat. Needless to say, I just squatted.
Bathing? From jerry cans and occassionally we have warm water! yeah! It is refreshing in cool water though!
Food? O my goodness it is wonderful. they are great cooks! To top it off they cook over coals or firewood. Can you believe it?
I have fully recovered from sickness and praise God cause that was awful. eee.
Love you all so much! Wish you could be here too.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

It is so good to read of your day, Kami!! It makes me want to hop on a plane today and come enjoy the coal-cooked-food and squat in a cho! We think of you often. I'm glad you are feeling healthy again - you had us worried! Much love-

Sarah Megan said...

Oh Kami Anne I am so glad that you are liking it over there. I have been thinking about you a lot!
Keep posting, love!

Kenli Shea said...

I am coming.